[Foundation-l] Foundation Discretion on Personnel Matters

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 13:15:09 UTC 2007

I meant the organisation as a whole--as organisations tend inevitably
to do in dealing with even their primary constituency. I agree that WP
does so much less than most, but the tendency is inevitable. I don't
see how it could have been read as you in particular, or indeed anyone
else in their individual capacities.

As for the success of the course taken, and of the PR advice received,
the events speak for themselves. Of course, it may well have been that
there was no course that could have done better--but at the least a
full background check then would have seemed in order, to avoid the
situation Jimmy describes, when the charges took you all unawares.

On 12/15/07, Mike Godwin <mnemonic at gmail.com> wrote:

> David Goodman writes:
>
> >  Yes, the board must have the discretion to choose the appropriate
> > course, and in this instance it chose wrongly.  It takes good
> > judgement to know how much to release, and the judgment proved not to
> > be good.  The bias towards secrecy would be the apparent reason.
>
> Apart from my disagreement about Goodman's evaluation of our
> judgments, I am charmed to have been accused, for the first time in my
> life, with a "bias towards secrecy." Anyone familiar with me or my
> work would have presumed my bias had been in the opposite direction.
>
> As Kant pointed out, acting against one's inclinations is often an
> indicator of moral judgment.
>

> --Mike

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.