[Foundation-l] Passed resolution (super short update)

John at Darkstar vacuum at jeb.no
Sat Dec 15 15:15:52 UTC 2007

As long as it does not GFDL it breaks the contract. A change of GFDL to
facilitate a swap with CC-by-sa is probably also illegitimate to the
users. The only legally binding solution is the hard way to start dual
licensing, let the users dual license old contributions and at some time
in the future (several years) drop GFDL when all old contributions are
fixed.

That said, cc-by-sa does not cover collaborative attributions and must
also be changed. This is a very central reason for the swap and cc-by-sa
does not solve it at all. GFDL says you can get away with crediting five
- 5 - contributors, cc-by-sa says you have to credit all contributors.

I think the best solution would be to branch GFDL at its present state,
and make a Gnu license specially tailored to the needs of collaborative
systems like Wikipedia. Don't start with a discussion about who is
behind which license scheme, start with a discussion about what are the
actual needs, how can it be achieved, and is the different options legal
in all jurisdictions.

In short, I don't think it was very wise to start this process without
having a plan how to fix the problems. To me it sounds like a quick fix
devised downtown very late in the evening. ;)

John E