[Foundation-l] Foundation Discretion on Personnel Matters

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 07:30:47 UTC 2007

David Goodman writes:

>  Yes, the board must have the discretion to choose the appropriate
> course, and in this instance it chose wrongly.  It takes good
> judgement to know how much to release, and the judgment proved not to
> be good.  The bias towards secrecy would be the apparent reason.

Apart from my disagreement about Goodman's evaluation of our
judgments, I am charmed to have been accused, for the first time in my
life, with a "bias towards secrecy." Anyone familiar with me or my
work would have presumed my bias had been in the opposite direction.

As Kant pointed out, acting against one's inclinations is often an
indicator of moral judgment.

--Mike