[Foundation-l] Foundation Discretion Regarding Personnel Matters

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 16:50:41 UTC 2007

On 14/12/2007, Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I agree that the Board should generally disclose as much as it is
> legally able to do so.

Unfortunately, the Board (or, at least, certain individuals on the
board) does not seem to agree. There are numerous instances of the
board refusing to reveal certain information for non-legal reasons,
and that's just the cases where member's of the community have known
enough to know there was a question to ask.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge there is no law
against stating that there a legal reasons for not disclosing
something. The board could have said "There are certain issues
regarding Carolyn Doran and her departure which we cannot discuss for
legal reasons." That way the board remains transparent while still
obeying the law.