[Foundation-l] google to launch encyclopedic project?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 10:27:12 UTC 2007

On 14/12/2007, Domas Mituzas <midom.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> This just in - from official Google blog:
> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/encouraging-people-to-
> contribute.html

http://www.google.com/images/blogs/knol_lg.png shows a CC-by-3.0 tag.
That's a BIG WIN for Wikimedia and what we do - making free content
*normal and expected*. If they require contributions to be under a
proper free content licence, then I'm a BIG FAN of this endeavour.
Same reason Citizendium succeeding (assuming they pick a free licence)
would be a big win for what we do - it's not competition, it's
expanding the pool of unencumbered knowledge.

If Google commit to requiring a proper free licence for all content,
I'd strongly recommend we publicly support this endeavour.

- d.