[Foundation-l] Passed resolution (super short update)

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 00:45:06 UTC 2007

On Dec 12, 2007 7:37 PM, John at Darkstar <vacuum at jeb.no> wrote:
> From http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:License_update
> > The Foundation requests that the GNU Free Documentation License be modified in the fashion proposed by the FSF to allow migration by mass collaborative projects to the Creative Commons CC-BY-SA license;
>
> Requsts? Is this the actual situation? If so, Foundation dictates the
> exact wording of GFDL and this is somewhat not what I believed was possible.

It's just a request. We can request all sorts of things, and if the
FSF wanted they could laugh in our face and say "hell no". The more
important part of the resolution is the statement that the WMF, the
FSF, and CC have been discussing this issue together, so we can all
assume that this particular request was not made without the proper
consideration from all parties.

--Andrew Whitworth