[Foundation-l] Fwd: Jimbo's response re:Rampant Checkuser Privacy Abuse

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 12 19:16:28 UTC 2007

--- Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/12/12, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:
> > Hoi,
> > Why is this exclusively en.wikipedia issue
> discussed on Foundation-l ???
> > Thanks,
> >      GerardM
> >

> I think the examples are just from en-wikipedia -
> but the problem is
> about all Wikimedia projects.

What other projects are having such problems?
Considering only a small number of projects have local
checkusers and some of those have strong requirements
for transparency, I would be very surprised to find
this to be a WMF-wide issue.  IIRC fr.WP doesn't even
allow local checkusers to join checkuser-l because of
the lack of transparency of that mailing list.

I doubt this is inherently a checkuser problem
anyways.  It is just another symptom of the larger
dysfunction of the en.WP community.

Birgitte SB