[Foundation-l] who handles copyright violations from otherwikis?

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 07:54:48 UTC 2007

David Goodman wrote:
> There are so many there, that it might be better to do it in a more
> organized fashion.
>
> On 12/7/07, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 07/12/2007, Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> There's a wiki, mirroring content from wikipedia
>>> without attributing its source, without preserving articles''s
>>> history, and without stating the content is GFDL.
>>>
>>> Who handles these matters?
>>>
>>> http://www.cetratec.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Archivo_binario
>>> taken from
>>> http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivo_binario
>>>
>>> as well as everything from
>>> http://www.cetratec.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Especial%3AAllpages&from=&namespace=0
>>>

>>> they're copying anything informatics-related from wikipedia, stripping
>>> it from source, attrbution and license
>>>

>> see
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Mirrors_and_forks
>>
>> --
>> geni

I imagine a lot of these might simply be based on misunderstanding of
what the GFDL requires. I recall having a conversation with one editor
who was also hosting some Wikipedia articles on his own website. I
politely informed him that he was required to have the full text of the
GFDL and article history available, or links to it, when the subject
came up, he apologized and had the appropriate links on his site the
next day. A lot of these may simply be solved by a similar polite
notice, especially if the notice were from an official Foundation
representative.