[Foundation-l] Wikinews - not so much a state of the wiki

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 08:21:27 UTC 2007

On 06/12/2007, Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org> wrote:
> Erik Moeller wrote:

> >I don't see any issue with this, and I support a private wiki for the
> >Wikinews community.  :-) I've worked on sensitive materials for
> >Wikinews myself, and found it awkward to have to put all information
> >in public. The only question would be the rules governing access -
> >perhaps that could be tied to accreditation?

> Thanks for supporting this idea. Access has to be a bit wider than just
> Accredited reporters though. Arria and a bunch of other people she rounded
> up carried out translations on stories for us, some of them being
> Wikimedians who were happy to muck in.

You may need something that allows Wikilike working together, but
isn't MediaWiki - MW just doesn't allow access restriction more
fine-grained than "can access this wiki" or not, so you wouldn't be
able to compartmentalise stories very well. I think MoinMoin does, but
MoinMoin is so annoying after using MW. Also, only MW uses MW
wikitext. Annoying ...

- d.