[Foundation-l] Racism in Commons

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 13:53:51 UTC 2007

On 06/12/2007, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Andrew Whitworth wrote:
> > Agreed: These images are pretty shocking, and I have to wonder why,
> > exactly, commons needs to be giving them free hosting? They hardly
> > further our goal of spreading knowledge for free.
> >
> > I'm also a little shocked to hear that commons doesnt have at least
> > some form of an NPOV policy? Do they have any kind of
> > content-acceptability requirement, or can anybody post any and all
> > offensive images on commons as they see fit?
> >
> > --Andrew Whitworth
>
> I looked for a detailed page on the matter.
> What I found is this
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Project_scope
>
> According to this page, basically anything (if free) could be hosted.

The key section should be "Wikimedia Commons is a common central media
repository of all Wikimedia projects":

"[...] files uploaded to the Commons have to be useful for some
Wikimedia project. Media files that are not useful for any Wikimedia
project are beyond the scope of Wikimedia Commons."

How could Commons be any more specific than that and still fill its
"service" role?

regards
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/