[Foundation-l] Racism in Commons

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 13:39:24 UTC 2007

> Euh
>
> Some (many) of the images uploaded by Jaakobou are quite shocking.
> I am sorry, but I fail to see how many of these images are in any sense
> *educational*
>
> Example
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:UnitedweRAPE.gif
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Arielsharonsecretlove.gif
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:SharonAnti-Christ.gif
>
> ant

Agreed: These images are pretty shocking, and I have to wonder why,
exactly, commons needs to be giving them free hosting? They hardly
further our goal of spreading knowledge for free.

I'm also a little shocked to hear that commons doesnt have at least
some form of an NPOV policy? Do they have any kind of
content-acceptability requirement, or can anybody post any and all
offensive images on commons as they see fit?

--Andrew Whitworth