[Foundation-l] Racism in Commons

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 12:22:39 UTC 2007

On 05/12/2007, Yoni Weiden <yonidebest at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not consider myself a commons member (and I doubt if they do).

Every Foundation wiki user arguably has an interest, since it is a service wiki.

> With my
> previous encounters with the deletion process I found it insufficient. Also,
> I do not wish to promote a community discussion about these images. I know
> that the foundation can call Veto on this, and this is why I am requesting
> this. If the Israeli press gets hold of this, it can seriously damage
> Wikimedia's reputation and our Hebrew Wikipedia. People get easily offended
> in such cases. I am asking the Foundation to prevent being on the major news
> channels in this bad light. I do not need to remind you what happened in
> Denmark and the Muslim cartoons - It was a world wide fiasco.

The Foundation has an obvious wish not to appear to exercise editorial
control, but obviously there's speedy deletion criteria for Commons as
well. And it looks like Anthere exercised those ...

With this sort of thing ("deletion reason: what is this sh*t, kill
it"), the wiki communities will pretty much always be a reasonable
first place to approach.

- d.