[Foundation-l] [cc-licenses] [Commons-l] Requirements for a strong copyleft license

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Dec 3 16:53:40 UTC 2007

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2007 4:52 AM, Javier Candeira <javier at candeira.com> wrote:
>> Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>>> I do not believe there is any point to having a copyleft license for
>>> media which isn't strong.  Does anyone here disagree?
>> I do, my photos are by-sa but newspaper using them for illustration doesn't
>> have to be (that's my intention when licensing, at least them), as long as
>> the photos themselves are labeled with the proper attribution and licensing.
>
> Greetings.  Why not use the cc-by license instead?  It has the same
> attribution behavior as cc-by-sa.

For many of us, we want to use cc-by-sa because we want the copyleft
provision, while at the same time, we do not intend to "overreach" by
claiming an expansive vision of "derivative work".

If you take my cc-by-sa image and modify it, I insist that your modified
version be made available under cc-by-sa.  If you merely use my image
*near* something else, then I do not insist that your entire work be
made available under cc-by-sa, because I do not believe that your
newspaper article is a "derivative work" of my photograph.

(There can be edge cases, of course, but they are a bit difficult to
construct.)

A desire for "strong copyleft" should not lead us into overly expansive
claims of copyright on interactions that do not actually constitute the
making of a derivative work.

--Jimbo