[Foundation-l] CC-BY-SA migration checklist

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 00:08:47 UTC 2007

> "GFDL requires that you name at least the five primary authors."
> That's misleading.  GFDL requires you name at least five of the
> primary authors *on the title page*.  It *also* requires that you name
> "the authors" (presumably, all of them) on the page entitled History.

No. "History" is an invariant section, and the standard wikimedia
copyright statement says that our work is released under the GFDL with
no invariant sections. Also, section 4(b) of the GFDL states that an
author may waive their right to be listed as an author on the title
page. We encourage people not to invoke this right. We also don't go
out of our way to alert them that they can. Also, if you treat
wikipedia as a single work (ie, a complete encyclopedia) then the
title page for all of wikipedia would only contain the names of 5
authors. I think the board could select an appropriate 5, if there was
an issue.

--Andrew Whitworth