[Foundation-l] What's wrong with CC-BY-SA?

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 18:48:17 UTC 2007

On Dec 1, 2007 12:50 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1)  Laurence Lessig has posted multiple times claiming that it is
> acceptable to take illustrations licensed under CC-By-SA and produce
> combined works which are not freely licensed. For example, if I wrote
> a since instruction book and created illustrations on how to safely
> use a bunsen burner a commercial textbook publisher could use my
> illustrations in their textbook without giving anything back the the
> world of free content.

Where do you stand on the question of commercial Wikipedia mirror sites
having non-GFDL content on pages, such as ads and any additional information
they may chose to create and release?

What's so different from that (existing, well accepted) practice and letting
someone take your illustration and use it in a book?

If you want NC, then you should say so, but it's not consistent with how we
use GFDL on the project now...

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com