[Foundation-l] CC-BY-SA migration checklist

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Dec 3 12:21:10 UTC 2007

Wikimedia has a strong tradition of consensus building, so I'd like to
refactor some of the comments into a kind of checklist of things we
may want to see done/resolved before migrating Wikimedia projects from
GFDL to CC-BY-SA. Here's a first stab:

[ ] A "statement of intent" for the CC-BY-SA license. This could
address, in my view, some of the concerns regarding Creative Commons'
future stewardship of the license. If there was a clear statement that
summarized the goals of a share-alike/copyleft license succinctly,
then CC could also make a commitment to only change the license itself
in accordance with that statement.

[ ] A clear path forward regarding copyleft on embedded media. Mind
you, I would argue that the current (FDL) situation is already
ambiguous and complicated. Furthermore, one could make the point that
this is not strictly a requirement for migrating the _text_, but it
could be a requirement for migrating uploaded media.

There basically seem to be two options under consideration: either
clearly making CC-BY-SA a strong copyleft license, or making a
separate license that meets those needs.

[ ] An improved attribution clause that works for wikis, e.g. some
version of http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/GFDL_suggestions#Attribution_requirements_for_collaborative_works

[ ] Some improvements to the CC-BY-SA "frontpage" which includes the
license summary. In addition to any clarifications that might be
desirable, I've discussed with Larry before the possibility of clearly
labeling CC-BY-SA as a "libre" license, in accordance with the
definition at freedomdefined.org -- he has expressed support for this
idea.

Anything else?
--