[Foundation-l] [cc-licenses] [Commons-l] Requirements for a strong copy left license

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Mon Dec 3 09:09:34 UTC 2007

For clarification...

Wikinews is CC-BY-2.5 for good reason - we want reused, and we want credit
given to the project. It is a small project and any recognition we can get
helps build our reputation. That means permitting commercial use with
appropriate attribution. Google news refuses to list us, so it is small
aggregator sites that copy our stories and add some Google adverts that are
listing our material; plus, of all things, a couple of blogs.

As I say, there are a number of small news aggregator sites who sometimes
pick up our stories and credit them back correctly, anyone who has not has,
when contacted, put correct attribution or ceased copying us.

I made a minor adjustment to the actual copyright footer on the Wikinews
site some time ago due to Commons having different licensing on images, and
certain not 100% free images being allowed under the EDP.

The text now reads, "All text created after September 25, 2005 is available
under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License unless
otherwise specified. Copyright terms on images may vary, please check
individual image pages prior to duplication." I added the detail on images.

One offshoot from this is that we now credit virtually every image as best
we can. Right down to PD stuff from NASA. It dovetails with our policy to
source stuff, and even were Commoners releasing stuff as PD I'm sure they'd
appreciate the small thanks that being credited for their work is.

We're being practical about copyright, the volume of emails and such on this
list doesn't exactly indicate that all parties on foundation-l are being
reasonable. Mike Godwin has pointed out that the FSF has proposed making
changes to make GFDL and CC-BY-SA compatable (or interoperable?), likely
based on issues WMF has raised, but it is the FSF's proposal that will be
worked from. This organisation produced the current GFDL that some are so
enamoured of; why lose trust in the FSF because they've been talking to
Jimmy Wales and Mike Godwin?

Brian McNeil