[Foundation-l] What's our dream license?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Dec 2 20:06:31 UTC 2007

Andrew Whitworth wrote:
>> We can't draft our own without starting from scratch. We can only use
>> current and later versions of GFDL. This new announcement is to do
>> with the FSF making a new version of the GFDL which would be
>> compatible (whatever that means in this context) with CC-BY-SA. Sure,
>> the FSF could make a new version based on what would be ideal for us,
>> but they probably wouldn't since it would effect more than just us.
>>
> What would be the issues involved in "forking" the GFDL? that is,
> could there be two distinct future licenses that would satisfy the "or
> any later version" clause?
>
> Either way, this is just a hypothetical exercise. If we know exactly
> what we want if we could have anything, it would make it easier for us
> to make changes to the GFDL. It's always easier to do anything if you
> have a goal in mind.
The value in such an exercise is not in the newly created licence, but
in the strategic value of the process.  Realistically we all know that
an entirely new proposal will encounter limitations on the path to
implementation.  The ability to dream is an incentive to find ways to
work around the limitations.

Viewed on a more personal level, a person who claims he wants to travel
who allows a lack of money or supposed family obligations to be
limitations from the beginning never looks for ways to make his dreams a
reality, and never travels.  My wife is more concerned than I when I
want to travel to another Wikimania.

Ec