[Foundation-l] What's wrong with CC-BY-SA?

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 15:03:40 UTC 2007

On 12/2/07, Mike Godwin <mnemonic at gmail.com> wrote:
> For what it's worth, EFF favors in principle the harmonization of GFDL
> and CC-BY-SA. (Full disclosure -- I worked as staff counsel for EFF
> for nine years, and I maintain plenty of contacts there.)  They take
> the view that CC-BY-SA is viral, but nevertheless makes licensed
> content easier to use than the current GFDL (designed for software
> manuals) does.  I view this as a feature, not a bug, since I believe
> the mission of Wikimedia Foundation is to share information and make
> sure it remains shared, and not merely to be a custodian of the
> meaning of GFDL (that's what FSF is for).

GFDL (or GSFDL) compatible with CC-BY-SA is completely other story
because FSF would be behind such license.

While we had technical problems with GFDL, I didn't see any problem
with FSF's intentions. Unlike with FSF's intentions, I saw a lot of
problems with CC's intentions and I don't want to be in the position
that my projects depend on those intentions.

In other words, while we have FSF license, everything is fine.