[Foundation-l] What's wrong with CC-BY-SA?

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 20:29:41 UTC 2007

On 01/12/2007, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> But, in order to have any chance of this, we need to get a list of
> complaints.  What problems do people have with CC-BY-SA?  I'm asking
> this of everyone on the list.

I remember a very interesting comment made by someone who'd spent a
lot of time contacting musicians, I think, to ask them about
CC-licensing their work. One of the reasons they were getting rejected
was the perception that this was another external group trying to
impose its name on their work, another little label or badge to put on
their product, and basically treating it as though their work would
help to promote the license not the other way around.

"We're releasing our own work because we dislike brands. Why should we
make our work carry *your* brand?"

This rang a lot of bells - I'd heard this sort of disquiet before, the
way that CC is a snappy little logo and a lot of impassioned
evangelism turning people off.

Maybe not entirely *rational*, but there are a good few out there who
dislike CC as a name rather than the details of any specific license.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk