[Foundation-l] GFDL CC announcement

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 19:17:59 UTC 2007

> Well, for one thing, obviously any work which uses Cover Texts,
> Invariant Sections, Acknowledgements, Dedications, or Endorsements
> probably wouldn't like being switched to CC-BY-SA.

That's where the difference between "the same" and "compatible with"
comes in. Obviously, the GFDL won't be identical to CC-BY-SA for the
reasons you give (unless, of course, such things are added to
CC-BY-SA), but the two licenses can still be compatible when used
appropriately.

> But if you got
> around that (similar to the GSFDL), I guess you have a good point.
> However, it's a point which really can't be discussed until the actual
> text and plans are revealed.  Maybe I was wrong for even speculating
> as much as I have.

You're absolutely right. Until we've actually seen the licenses, we're
just guessing.