[Foundation-l] GFDL CC announcement

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Dec 1 18:19:08 UTC 2007

On Dec 1, 2007 12:47 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/12/2007, James Forrester <jdforrester at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 01/12/2007, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
>
> > > Thanks to Florence for posting the resolution.  Now, community, we have
> > > a lot to talk about. :)
>
> > Obviously, this is something in which to rejoice, though of course
> > I'll remain cautious in my optimism until I see it actually done by
> > the FSF. :-)
>
> Yes. I find in particular it's odd the WMF is going to go for
> relicensing as CC-by-sa, rather than a GFDL "or later." I assume
> there's good reason for this ...

I don't understand this comment.  Presumably the GFDL "or later" will
be used to take Wikipedia to GFDL 1.3 (or whatever the next version
is), which will then be used to relicense as CC-BY-SA.

Why not just make the GFDL 1.3 compatible with CC-BY-SA directly?
Well, for one thing, because there are people who use the GFDL besides
Wikipedia.

Or am I misunderstanding what you find odd?