[Foundation-l] GFDL/CC announcement?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Dec 1 16:42:23 UTC 2007

On Dec 1, 2007 11:07 AM, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/12/2007, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > ...to modify the Free Documentation License in such a
> > fashion as to allow the possibility for the Wikimedia Foundation to
> > migrate the projects to CC-BY-SA...
>
> ...okay, this is interesting, this wasn't how I expected we'd do it.

The idea of "relicensing" has been in the GFDL draft for a while now.
I don't know if this is how it's going to be done, but here's what's
there now:

http://gplv3.fsf.org/comments/gfdl-draft-1.html

"[8b. WIKI RELICENSING ¶ →

If the Work was previously published, with no Cover Texts, no
Invariant Sections, and no Acknowledgements or Dedications or
Endorsements section, in a system for massive public collaboration
under version 1.2 of this License, and if all the material in the Work
was either initially developed in that collaboration system or had
been imported into it before 1 June 2006, then you may relicense the
Work under the GNU Wiki License.]"