[Foundation-l] GFDL/CC announcement?

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 1 15:41:28 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:
> http://blog.jamendo.com/index.php/2007/12/01/breaking-news-wikipedia-switches-to-creative-commons/
>
> I've emailed the comcom and Jimbo asking for the first-hand details.
>

> - d.

Well, you might be surprised, but the board sometimes is first-hand
source on information it votes upon. Which is the current case.

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:License_update

Let me copy below the text of this resolution for easy access

Whereas the Board seeks to respond responsibily to longstanding
community concerns about issues of compatibility between the GNU Free
Documentation License and the Creative Commons CC-BY-SA license, as well
as to continue longstanding traditions of strong community input and
control over major decisions affecting the projects, and

Whereas a long period of discussion and negotiation between and amongst
the Free Software Foundation, Creative Commons, the Wikimedia Foundation
and others has produced a proposal supported by both the FSF and
Creative Commons to modify the Free Documentation License in such a
fashion as to allow the possibility for the Wikimedia Foundation to
migrate the projects to CC-BY-SA, and

Whereas, Creative Commons and the Free Software Foundation (FSF) would
like formal support for this license change,

It is hereby resolved that:

* The Foundation requests that the GNU Free Documentation License be
modified in the fashion proposed by the FSF to allow migration by mass
collaborative projects to the Creative Commons CC-BY-SA license;

* Upon the announcement of that relicensing, the Foundation will
initiate a process of community discussion and voting before making a
final decision on relicensing

I invite you to read very carefully the last paragraph of the approved
resolution.

Thanks

Florence Devouard