[Foundation-l] Buy Wikipedia?

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 23:49:02 UTC 2007

On 8/31/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think "Buy XYZ" is more a suggested search query than an advert.
> Google picks a keyword from the page you're viewing, and then suggests
> you might want to search for places to buy it. It's pretty rubbish and
> annoying, but I don't think it's anything to worry about - it's just
> nonsense, really. Can nonsense be a trademark violation?

The problem is that it is a nonsense if you read it literary. However,
it is *not* a nonsense if you are reading this in the sense of buying
Wikipedia content (which is a common sense of, for example, "buy
Wikipedia"; cf. "buy Linux"). At least, Google should exclude
Wikipedia from its common commercial add ons: "buy Wikipedia", "trade
Wikipedia" and similar. Anyone who wants to make money on
Wikipedia(tm) should pay for (tm) at least in USA.