[Foundation-l] Wikimedia logos on Commons

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Aug 27 18:39:33 UTC 2007

SJ Klein wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Erik Moeller wrote:
>
>> - a free/libre logo could be one which always has a corresponding,
>> freely licensed "community" logo (Debian style).
>>

> This would be a mistake.  Who in the Debian community thinks this was a
> good idea?  Nowadays noone uses the non-community logo.

The community logo (swirl) was already much more used than the
non-community logo (swirl with bottle) at the time the licensing
decision was made, so this isn't some sort of unexpected outcome: it's
what was intended. The main, visible, commonly used logo of the Debian
project is community licensed, so as to be as free as possible, and of
course continues to be the most commonly used one. A lesser-used "This
Is Really Really Official" logo is retained for a handful of uses that
need such a thing, but it was never widely used and I don't think anyone
expected it to become widely used.

Contrary to your implication, I haven't noticed any widespread opinion
in the Debian community that this was a mistake; to the contrary, this
course of action received a strong vote in favor.

-Mark