[Foundation-l] Alternatives to Cafepress

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 22:21:55 UTC 2007

On 26/08/07, Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:

> I've been wearing my Wikipedia golf shirt, purchased I believe at Cafe
> Press, for three years. It is as white as ever and has not suffered in
> quality.

The main problem with the CafePress process (and that used by most
one-off printers) is that it's basically laser-printing to a shirt,
i.e. toner particles melted into the fibres. This can work very well
indeed, but is not going to be as good as silk-screen printing, which
becomes cost-effective at a few tens of shirts or so.

Of course, the other thing you're buying from CafePress is having
someone do all the ordering, packing and posting backend - not just
making sure you don't have a stock of maybe-saleable shirts.

- d.