[Foundation-l] Claims of anti-government bias

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 16:17:27 UTC 2007

On 24/08/07, Robert Brockway <robert at timetraveller.org> wrote:

> Morning.  The Australian foreign minister, Mr Alexander Downer, has been
> quoted as stating that Wikipedia is "anti-government".  He also seems to
> be quite misinformed about how Wikipedia works.  Perhaps the Foundation
> should contact Mr Downer's office to correct these misunderstandings.
> Reference:
> http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22300575-2,00.html

Transcript:

http://www.foreignminister.gov.au/transcripts/2007/070824_media_conference.html

It's fairly clear he was floundering and didn't have a clue.
(Springing stuff on Alexander Downer and watching him flounder brings
to mind proverbs about fish, barrels and shooting.) It's not quite the
ringing condemnation of the headline.

There's some discussion on the wikimediaau-l list about finding
reasonably reliable Australian volunteer contacts for Wikipedia and
Wikimedia, though I'm not sure if someone's specifically volunteered
to contact his office.

- d.