[Foundation-l] Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Thu Aug 23 21:30:40 UTC 2007

Hello,

I think it is important that Wikinewsies get accredidation if it can
help them. Whether that the job of WMF or a separate organisation, I am
not sure. I have not seen any formal NO from a lawyer or the board that
WMF cannot or should not do it. Was there any?

Christophe Henner a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> This is my opinion, I don't think it's a good idea. On a short term,
> it would be really usefull, but in fact on the long term I do believe
> it wouldn't be a so good idea. There would be confusion like "is
> wikinews a Wikinews Foundation project or a Wikimedia Foundation
> Project." Moreover, you're proposal looks like, to me, like a
> "Wikinews Chapter".

This is my main concern for the creation of a separate organisation.

> In France, but I think it should be the same in other countries, in
> order to have a press card, the main aim of the "Wikinews Foundation"
> you have to earn 50% in a journalism job. And earn it in France. So
> Wikinews Foundation won't help the french wikinewsie. For
> accreditation the French Chapter is helping at it, and actually we are
> not that bad in having them.
[cut]

Well accredidation from Wikinews cannot be "a professional journalist
accredidation" in France, but I think it still would be quit useful.
It would be a first step toward the recognition of citizen journalists,
as "real" journalists.

Actually this issue is important for every other citizen journalists
community / organisation. Even if there are different than Wikinews,
they share this same problem. Were there contacted? Indymedia? AgoraVox?
others?

Regards,

Yann

--