[Foundation-l] Wiki Scanner & wikinews

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Tue Aug 21 21:12:29 UTC 2007

I completely agree with this point. The evidence should be presented in a
"fair and balanced" way, and rather than spinning it as "A Fox news
employee," it should simply be stated that an edit from the Fox News Corp.
was made to an article related to them. The nature of the edit should also
be explained - did it make them look favorable, or a competitor look less
favorable? Allow people to draw their own conclusions.

On the other hand, if your point is that, because we cannot absolutely
verify that any of these people were actually acting in the best interest of
their employer because we weren't there to see it happen and didn't
interview them about their motivations, that there is likely no phenomenon
here to discuss, you would have veered far and wide of common sense. It's
pretty clear that Wiki Scanner has uncovered some dirt. So cover it, but be
fair and balanced :)