[Foundation-l] Wiki Scanner & wikinews

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 13:19:24 UTC 2007

On 21/08/07, Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org> wrote:

> Wikinews has been playing with the tool too, our interest was "what have the
> *media* been manipulating?" - And the first question we shot at the guy,
> Virgil, who set up the scanner was, "Can you include other Wikis?" With what
> we've found here:
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/FOX_News_fares_poorly_in_investigation_of_media_
> edits_to_Wikipedia we'd like to know if WikiSource or Wikinews have been
> "whitewashed".

It's a fairly simple transformation of a MediaWiki database dump - it
should be easy to do for any MediaWiki installation. I understand the
WikiScanner is running flat-out at the moment, though that should ease
up as the media interest slows.

(The media interest has been ridiculous - I was doing press all
Thursday and Friday and it's still all over the blogosphere. What can
I say, it's August ...)

- d.