[Foundation-l] Alternative to paypal

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Aug 13 07:54:44 UTC 2007

Mark Ryan wrote:

> I've heard a lot of horror stories about Paypal. And considering
> that by using PayPal, we're basically paying eBay a percentage
> of donations we receive, I reckon it'd be a good idea to look at
> alternatives every now and then.

When Richard Stallman visited my town and gave a speech, I asked
him if he saw any freedom issue with Paypal's dominance, i.e. if
he felt a need to fight for the establishment of an alternative.
He didn't seem to think so.  Indeed, www.fsf.org receives
donations using Paypal and credit cards,
https://www.fsf.org/associate/support_freedom/donate

I'm not following every move and idea of RMS, but if there really
was a problem, I guess he would know and be concerned.

I agree we should keep our eyes open for alternatives, but the
need doesn't seem to be urgent.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)