[Foundation-l] Alternative to paypal

Sebastian Moleski sebmol at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 13:20:59 UTC 2007

On 8/12/07, Mark Ryan <ultrablue at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've heard a lot of horror stories about Paypal. And considering that
> by using PayPal, we're basically paying eBay a percentage of donations
> we receive, I reckon it'd be a good idea to look at alternatives every
> now and then. Now that Wikimedia has hit the big time, our support for
> any particular payment method may actually become important.

When you accept credit cards, a percentage goes to VISA, Mastercard, etc.,
another percentage to your merchant account provider. How's that different
from Paypal/eBay taking a cut?

Either way, the question that should drive our decision regarding available
payment methods is fairly simple: what methods do a significant number of
donors (or a few donors with donations of a significant amount) prefer? If
it's Paypal, that's what we ought to have. If it's checks, money orders,
wires, debit transfers, credit cards, debit cards, Moneybookers, gift cards,
etc. then we ought to offer those too.

Sebastian