[Foundation-l] Interview transcription

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 01:42:02 UTC 2007

So far, the Foundation really hasn't made a comment like that.  Take the @
wikinewsie.org e-mail addresses, the Wikinews people didn't ask the
Foundation for people's own @wikinews.org e-mail address, as that would look
like they were *official* reps.  However, as long as it is understood that
you are just a user or admin or any other thing so long as it doesn't make
you seem like an official representative, the Foundation doesn't seem to
have a problem with that.

On 8/9/07, C.J. Croy <cjcroy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/8/07, brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>
> wrote:
> > I have already pestered my Wikinews colleagues for help transcribing
> this as
> > a first step into turning it into a story, any help in the transcription
> > would be appreciated. I'd also welcome opinions on how this material can
> be
> > used as a source for Wikipedia which has a "No Original Research"
> policy.
> >

> > Brian McNeil
>
> I'll chip in on transcribing later today; I need the practice.  Quick
> thought based on what's transcribed so far: You'd be better off
> identifying yourself as from Wikipedia than Wikimedia or Wikinews.
> Not many people are as familiar with the subprojects as the core
> Wikipedia project.  Fox News certainly reporters don't introduce
> themselves as employees of NewsCorp.
>
> It brings up a good question: How does the Foundation feel about
> people identifying themselves as from Wikipedia, Wikinews, etc?  The
> Wikipedia brand name is a very strong one and could open a lot of
> doors, but if misused could result in a lot of doors being slammed in
> our collective face.
>
> -Chris Croy

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023