[Foundation-l] Exemption Doctrine Policy

Luna lunasantin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 00:18:05 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, cohesion <cohesion at sleepyhead.org> wrote:

> From a discussion [[Wikipedia talk:Non-free use rationale
> guideline#What are we really accomplishing here?]], is it the
> foundations view that the wording of the policy requires a *written*
> rationale for any non-free content, or only that a rationale exists
> for its use (possibly in the abstract)?
>
> Usually we had assumed it required a written one, but the phrase
> "...should go through a discussion process where it is determined
> whether such a rationale exists..." makes it seem as though perhaps
> the intention is to mean a rationale in the abstract.

"Media used under EDPs are subject to deletion if they lack an applicable
rationale..."

"...existing media under such licenses should go through a discussion
process where it is determined whether such a rationale exists..."

Those seem to be the relevant bits, at first glance. I could be mistaken,
but I don't see anything there that requires the rationale be in writing. My
current understanding is that en.wikipedia policy adds this requirement
explicitly.

But, I'm not in a position to speak for the foundation in any capacity, just
a nosy list member. ;)

-Luna