[Foundation-l] #wikipedia IRC channel guidelines review

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 02:23:59 UTC 2007

On 8/2/07, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
> First, I think the argument has become clearer now, thank you for your
> information.
>
> On 7/31/07, Casey Brown <cbrown1023 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > (For the record, you were not the one arguing on semantics, you had a
> > genuine question and I was happy you asked it.)
> >
> > I said #wikipedia *should* be the mother channel, but it's crap now. :)
>
> When I joined the project, it was considered the center channel or
> channel for English and languages which had no their own, so
> historically it was.
> Then we created other channels, #wikimedia,  for other projects
> (tionary, quote, news, commons ...).
>
> Today, it works for English people and perhaps for people who had no
> their own language's yet. But for coordination I suppose #wikimedia
> enough. I heard once Spanish Wikipedians were complainted since they
> spoke Spanish on #wikipedia, and I think it bad if it is really what
> happened ... but I have no reason to make it "the mother channel for
> wikipedia", as what it is not now.
>
> And ... even if it is the argument about Wikipedia at large, is it
> enough to call for opinions on wikipedia-l?

I think this is the heart of the issue. #wikipedia cannot be shoehorned
into being something it is not, and in the course of nature, will never be.

There remains the question of can it be restored to playing the (valuable)
part it used to fulfill. I don't know personally, but some useful things *can*
be done to help that.