[Foundation-l] Future fate of Siberian Wikipedia

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 22:45:53 UTC 2007

In general, I understand both: Language SubCom and Board for lack of
will/time to work on such issues: LangSubCom shouldn't deal with
closure of some project and Board has much more important issues to
work on. However, in the present situation only Board is able to make
such decision and only LangSubCom is body which may give expertize.
So, my first suggestion was based on the simple relation: what do we
have and what do we need.

If both bodies are not willing to deal with such issues, the idea
about making Meta ArbCom is better then nothing. So, I support this
idea in the sense "what do we have and what do we need".

However, positions of ArbComs shouldn't be strong, because ~10 persons
shouldn't be able make Wikimedia-wide decisions. Also, it is quite
reasonable to suppose that such body will be under strong pressure: I
may suppose that a lot of people will try to find a way how to make
influence on those people, as well as I am sure that they will have
much more job then they would be able to do.

Also, even we have such body, it is always possible that it will say
the same as Board and LangSubCom said for this case: we are not
competent for this issue (or: sorry, we have a lot of job to do and we
are not able to work on your issue because we think that it is less
important then other issues).

Because of all of such cases I think that the best solution is to make
a body which will just work on preparing of Wikimedia-wide votings.

And it is not so hard to make a good enough model for voting (which,
btw, may be different from for different cases). For example, rules
may be:

We need people who are enough in Wikimedia and her projects, so:
- Board members, chapter board members, (sub)committee members,
stewards, Meta community and developers (may some groups more?) are
enough trusting, so we don't need to check them.
- Other method for persons to whom Wikimedian projects are important
is at least non-bot 1000 edits on all Wikimedian projects. Also, one
year of presence may be another condition.
- A method for checking reliability may be one year without any block
more then 24 hours.
- etc. etc.

We need this because we need a general method for making decisions
which are global, but not WMF related. Today we have problem related
to Siberian Wikipedia, but tomorrow we will have a problem which even
wouldn't be related to any (sub)committee's expertise.