[Foundation-l] Mission & Vision statement updated

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 11:39:59 UTC 2007

> Well, I'm not convinced that providing caviar(*) to aristocrats would
> ever be considered a charitable purpose by the IRS.  But if it is,
> then I don't see any reason the IRS would have a problem with it.
> State law governing non-profit organizations, on the other hand, might
> very well have something to say about it.

How precise are the IRS regulations? How is giving caviar (and yes,
that is what I meant, thanks. I should learn not to trust
spellcheckers to know what I'm talking about) to aristocrats different
than giving baked beans to orphans (which presumably would count as
charitable)? The IRS regulations are presumably designed to be
objective, and it's very difficult to come up with a working objective
definition of charitable.

> I also don't think the example you gave is anything remotely close to
> the situation at hand.

That's for the authorities to decide, though. I was giving an extreme
example, yes, it's easier to make it clear what you are talking about
by going to an extreme, but the basic concept is the same. There is a
line somewhere between changes than are acceptable and those that
aren't, but that line is drawn by the IRS, not foundation-l.