[Foundation-l] Mission & Vision statement updated

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Apr 26 23:41:19 UTC 2007

On 4/26/07, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> In my opinion this is simply not good enough. If you are of the
> opinion that we do _not_ need to specify that we are *only* interested
> in keeping the *content* under a free licence, why "clarify" the
> sentence by adding that specific word "content" there, when a
> reasonable reading - and I do think my reading is reasonable - will
> contend that adding "content" in there is a specific disinclusion of a
> requirement for free formats, and thus a radical shift in policy.

No, you are very confused. The only reason the word "content" was
inserted here was to avoid the confusion between a "free content
license" and a "freely available license". That was discussed in one
of the threads I linked to. It has nothing to do with free formats.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic