[Foundation-l] Wikipedia:Office Actions

Peter van Londen londenp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 15:16:35 UTC 2007

Wp:Office is until now only official on EN:WP (I mean by that: published
only there); it has not been spread to the other projects; imho this was not
a mistake, nobody found it necessary to do that (maybe because there was not
a need for that policy elsewhere?).

If it was meant to be foundation-wide, it would have meant that this policy
would have been properly introduced to all the projects, which it was not.

My proposal is a way to help the office in many ways:
1) make the problem a problem of that particular community. If left to the
office it is their problem and it stays there problem, they need to
follow-up on any deletion or change made (as it might be reverted, which
does happen). My thought is that they have other things to do and should be
able to delegate.
2) language problems: If the problematic content (and follow-up) is in a
language the Office can not read, cooperation of that particular community
would be needed anyway.
3) acceptance of Foundation-intrusion by communities is probably less than
if trusted people delete the content (but it does not mean there won't be a
problem with reverts, after all it is an open environment).
4) Sebastian: I think the authority of the Foundation will not be challenged
by the trusted people: If the Foundation says it needs to be done, because
the project is in danger: no one will ask for further explanation and just
do what is required.

In the end: the policy is workable for the English projects, I sincerely
doubt this policy would work with languages the Office can not understand.
It is better to use the structures already in place.

Anyhow I will not go on with my preaching. If one doesn't want to, the
future will tell how workable this policy is. After all it is really not a
huge problem: we have bigger problems than this policy.

By the way IRC and OTRS are different things.

Kind regards, Londenp