[Foundation-l] Mission & Vision statement updated

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 00:41:15 UTC 2007

On 4/26/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 4/26/07, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> > One of those contained the following text:
> (..)
> > Where was that lost?
>
> See the third email I quoted:
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-January/026662.html
>
> I'm sorry you missed these discussions, but the statements are not set
> into stone -- feel free to edit the unstable versions & we'll take
> your suggestions up again. Kat also wasn't entirely happy with the
> current version, I think, so there's a chance that an update will be
> made soon.

I squinted hard, and indeed the version of the unstable Vision
statement is the one that you have now officially adopted. I
personally don't have an objection to the content of the vision
statement, except to note that that vision is in it blurred, not
clarified by the emendation of the language. No substantial objection
to the new form, but just calling a spade a spade.

However the version of the mission statement linked from that post,
which you suggest adopting "without objection", is definitely _not_
the one you have now adopted officially. It still has the language
"free licence" which I personally would think would implicitly (if not
explicitly) mean "free content available in formats under free
licences" and if the object was to clarify rather than change that
meaning, that would have been the preferred phrasing. I am sure these
things can be discussed reasonably, sorry if my tone in the above
posts was a bit stroppy.