[Foundation-l] Mission & Vision statement updated

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 22:24:34 UTC 2007

On 4/25/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Some clarifications that have been made include:

> - use of "free content license" instead of the possibly confusing "free
> license"
> - in VS, replace "free access" with the broader "share in the sum of
> all knowledge"

These are hardly clarifications. The former is a major shift away from
longstanding policy. Wikimedia has long made the stand that we are not
merely about content under a free licence, but also about content in
formats that are under freel licence. It is *categorigally* not a
clarification to walk away from this.

To call the latter a clarification is a stupendous misuse of the term "clarity".