[Foundation-l] Mission & Vision statement updated

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 21:21:36 UTC 2007

On 4/25/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> The Mission and Vision statement of WMF have been officially updated
> after the recent community discussions:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mission&oldid=571884
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Vision&oldid=571890
>
> See the related Board resolution:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Mission_and_Vision_statement
>
> Some clarifications that have been made include:
> - focus on "neutral educational content" instead of simply "knowledge" in the MS
> - use of "free content license" instead of the possibly confusing "free license"
> - in VS, replace "free access" with the broader "share in the sum of
> all knowledge"
>
> The unstable versions are still open to editing, and we will debate
> this issue regularly. For now, I would appreciate it if translators
> could start working on these statements. They should probably also be
> posted in a couple of very official places on wikimediafoundation.org
> :-)
>
> --
> Peace & Love,
> Erik
>
> DISCLAIMER: This message does not represent an official position of
> the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.
>
> "An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
> free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic

I remind the Board of Trustees that the sole purpose of the Wikimedia
Foundation is "to create and freely distribute a free encyclopedia in
all the languages of the world".  It would be wise for the Board to
ensure that its mission and vision statements clearly explain how the
various goals and directions set forth there are all related to this
fundamental purpose.  It is not legal for the Board to engage in
activities that are not related to that fundamental purpose.

Kelly