[Foundation-l] A modest proposal: ads on wikipedia.com

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Apr 23 02:55:56 UTC 2007

On 4/23/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have we tried using it for advertising for ourselves? I mean a huge
> chunky donate form, + soft redirect to .org, might encourage people to
> both donate, and remember the url correctly. :)

I like this idea. I think wikipedia.com could be an excellent place to
have a page of the type:

"Welcome to Wikipedia.

Wikipedia is not like other web companies out there. [a bit of
passionate text about what makes us different] Now, if you want to
read Wikipedia content, please go to .. If you want to support
Wikipedia, please go to .."

This would allow us to retain redirects from article URLs as well.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic