[Foundation-l] what do we do in the event the Foundation fails? - Re: Pol...

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Sun Apr 22 10:36:25 UTC 2007

geni schreef:

> Overkill. For some reason we still hang on to wikipedia.com. Selling
> or renting that would be a source of income while at the same time
> giving us a fighting chance of reducing the number of times people use
> the wrong domain when talking about us.

Selling would be not very smart to do. Renting is better then doing
nothing with it. But the best thing to do would to use it ourselves.

The domain "wikipedia.com" is a potential goldmine for the Wikimedia
Foundation.

If it would be used for offering a good read only copy of Wikipedia
*with* moderate advertisement it could be a nice source of income for
the WMF.

wikipedia.com -> read only with advertisement -> $$$ -> Good for
everybody, maybe not need anymore to beg to the readers to give money
wikipedia.org -> stays like it is

--
Contact: walter AT wikizine DOT org
Wikizine.org - news for and about the Wikimedia community