[Foundation-l] Does "free content" exist in France?

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 18:59:35 UTC 2007

--- Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:

> Ray Saintonge wrote:
> > Pedro Sanchez wrote:
> >
> >> In many countries, the moral rights can't be
> waived or renounced (in
> >> Mexico you can't). But those are not the rights
> that licenses deal
> >> with, but "patrimonial" (not sure about the
> proper translation)
> >> rights.
> >>
> >> No matter how free is the image, the author will
> always remain the
> >> author. That's nothing to do with freeness.
> >>

> > The right of attribution?  When through time a
> person's copyright has
> > expired you are free to reproduce the material,
> but you cannot tell the
> > public that you are the author;  the original
> author still needs to be
> > credited.
> >

> In the U.S. at least this isn't true; an author of a
> work no longer
> under copyright retains no residual rights of any
> sort except those that
> would normally be granted by libel and similar laws,
> not even a right to
> be credited as the author; this was settled in 2003
> in [[en:Dastar Corp.
> v. Twentieth Century Fox Film Corp.]].
>
> What is somewhat unclear to me is to what extent
> other countries'
> moral-rights legislation is enforceable outside
> their countries.  Can it
> be safely ignored by those in countries that lack
> such laws, much like
> Turkey's laws against "insulting Turkishness" are
> ignored outside
> Turkey, or is it worldwide in legal applicability?
> If the former it
> presents less of a unique problem for free
> content---it's already the
> case that free content's reuse is restricted in some
> ways in some
> countries due to particular legislation, and we
> can't do a whole lot
> about that.

Moral rights are not some oddball local law, but
well-recognized area of international copyright law
acknowledged in the Berne convention.  This is not at
all like "insulting Turkishness" were it is best to
just claim a different jusristiction and pretend it
doesn't exist.  Not if you want to maintain any
integrity as an international movement anyways.

Birgitte SB