[Foundation-l] Does "free content" exist in France?

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Apr 20 18:16:23 UTC 2007

On 4/20/07, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Based on the definition [1] promoted by WMF, I am
> wondering if free content exists in France where moral
> rights are inalienable, perpetual and inviolable.

Hello,

the licensing policy has been specifically formulated to avoid that
problem. It requires content to be under a Free Content License, which
is defined as "a license which meets the terms of the Definition of
Free Cultural Works _specific to licenses_". It does not require the
absence of impeding moral rights restrictions.

That said, I have always found it highly problematic that these rights
are inalienable in certain countries. Hopefully, future copyright
reforms can address this problem.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic