[Foundation-l] Does "free content" exist in France?

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 15:39:08 UTC 2007

--- Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/20/07, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 4/20/07, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Based on the definition [1] promoted by WMF, I
> am
> > > wondering if free content exists in France where
> moral
> > > rights are inalienable, perpetual and
> inviolable.
> >
> > I'm sorry, but in the definition, I seem to miss
> the part where free
> > content is tied to the "loss of' or 'giving up"
> one's moral rights?
> >
> > Could you point me to it?
> >

> > Thank you.
> >
> > Delphine
> > --
> > ~notafish
> >

> In many countries, the moral rights can't be waived
> or renounced (in
> Mexico you can't). But those are not the rights that
> licenses deal
> with, but "patrimonial" (not sure about the proper
> translation)
> rights.
>
> No matter how free is the image, the author will
> always remain the
> author. That's nothing to do with freeness.

The question arises in juristictions were they can be
waived.  Whether works which still maintian perpetual
moral rights or their equivalent in a juristition
where other works do not are free content.  I asked
the question as I did because it is the extreme
situation.  Where the rights are perpetual and cannot
be waived.  And the reasoning to justify the extreme
situation can be applied universally to evalute other
the freedom of other works.

Birgitte SB