[Foundation-l] Some views with regard to current discussion

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Fri Apr 20 04:44:50 UTC 2007

In a message dated 4/19/2007 4:01:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wiki at devreede.net writes:

The  sudden departure Danny without a
proper transfer of knowledge, combined  with the start of new employees
and a lot of new things happening make  this an especially trying time
for them.

I do not feel it would be right to answer this entire email, though I do
find it questionable whether a board member should single out one person, by
name or insinuation, as somehow ineligible to run for the board. I am hoping I
misunderstood your email.

On the other hand, I want to be clear about this allegation. After my
departure, I appeared in the office on several occasions and sat with Carolyn to
relay any information that I had. I went through all of the information on my
whiteboard, and I gave her each of my files, explaining to her what they
contained. She was always and is always free to call me with questions. As  Carolyn
will surely agree, I considered her a friend more than just a  colleague, and
will continue to do so. Note that my Rolodex is also in the  office with all
my important phone numbers.

Just this morning, long before you sent your email, Carolyn called me  asking
for access to my old work email, which is on Mark Bergsma's personal  server.
I had asked Mark for this in the past, but he was reluctant because of
privacy concerns. When Carolyn asked, I immediately sent an email to Mark   (at
4/19/2007 9:06:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time) releasing all my emails to  Carolyn
(only).

As for fundraising for Wikimania, I agreed to speak with the intern who is
currently working on it and cleared an entire afternoon to pass on information
to him. I found it unfortunate that when we met, he told me he had only
twenty  minutes so "make it quick."  I have been working at this and similar
professions since before that intern was born, and found it insulting both to me
and to the foundation that hired me for my expertise to think that this
experience could be condensed into a twenty-minute cheat sheet. However, as I
explained to Carolyn later that day, I am always available to answer questions  and
share ideas.

I regret that you feel this was inadequate and can only hope that other
employees acted in the same way, with the same sense of responsibility, when  they
left.

Danny