[Foundation-l] What are the assets of the Foundation, anyway?

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 21:19:54 UTC 2007

On 4/19/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I do not consider anything I have said in this thread to be
> "retaliation".  I act, on this list and others, as a fellow member of
> this community, unless specified otherwise (hence the email
> disclaimer).
> --
> Peace & Love,
> Erik
>
> DISCLAIMER: This message does not represent an official position of
> the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.

Just to be clear, I will not say your disclaimer is unwarranted, but
it is kind of stupid, in that most people on the board seem to do fine
without such a disclaimer, and even the chair of the board does not
have one with every message they post.

I wonder if there has ever been an occasion or ever will be an
occasion when you *will* post as a member of the board of trustees
rather than as a private individual.

You could do so, and it would be quite valuable, because the board
clearly does not seem to communicate regularly with the outside world,
except through the wise words of Florence Devouard, and it would be
useful if people who are on the board would speak not only in
denigrating criticism of her, but openly in support of what she is
saying as chair of the board.

I specifically ask this because you, Erik, promised quite prominently
as a candidate for the post to improve the transparency of the board.

So, speaking as an insignificant member or the community, I would ask
all the members of the board, speak out openly in support of the
chair, if you do infact support the direction she is proposing; do not
just play whack-a-mole with trolls.